Alexion Pharmaceuticals Associate Director, Medical Affairs Excellence in Boston, Massachusetts
The Associate Director, Medical Affairs Excellence reports directly to Global Head of Medical Affairs Excellence and shall be accountable for all operational aspects of the GMA tactical plans. This includes support to strategical and tactical planning. The individual will work closely with Global Medical Affairs leads and Medical Directors and provide feedback to Medical Affairs Excellence head about daily operations, activities, deliverables, and assigned responsibilities. They will plan and coordinate projects or sub-projects under the general direction of the respective TA GMAL or the Medical Directors of the TAs to which she/he has been assigned. The individual is responsible for aligning medical operations with business needs, strategies and tactics via detailing, including tracking budgets and cross-checking daily actions with higher-level targets such as brand plans, annual operation plans, strategic imperatives, and other sub-level goals, tactics, and deliverables. They are responsible for collaborating with Clinical Operations in regards to Registries conduct and alert head of MA Excellence on potential issues identified. They will facilitate the cross-functional preparation, implementation, and facilitation of projects related to internal stakeholder activities in Global Medical TAs. The individual will also work with the Head of MA Excellence in the appropriate plan of action for improvements where needed and to define key activities measures and efficiency metrics
The Associate Director, Medical Affairs Excellence may contribute to hiring, onboarding and mentoring junior associates and or contingent workers.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
• Works in close partnership with the Global Medical teams across all TAs, understands well the strategy and contributes to the execution of the Global Medical Tactical plan for each TA. Maintains the overall advisory board/medical meeting documentation as necessary in project databases (including but not limited to overall budget management, HCP engagement, and legal contracts).
• Partners with medical teams worldwide, Global Medical Communication, HEOR, VISion, and commercial to share critical insights gained from advisory boards and help ensure pull-through into strategic and tactical planning while monitoring the execution of related action steps.
• Ensures the development, maintenance, and monitoring of project and program plans, budgeting, and tracking of milestones. This includes project schedules/timelines, budgets, and plans for project quality, resources, communications, and tracking resolution of issues, risks and resources.
• collaborates with Clinical Operations on registries to ensure operational progress and adherence to allocated budget and align with cross functional through registry Leadership team and alert head of MA Excellence on potential issues
• Defines project objectives, requirements, and assumptions necessary to structure a project or activity.
• Maintains ongoing relationships with global gatekeepers to ensure the current process from ex-US countries area followed and properly conducted; this includes working with global compliance on creating operational systems to address any gaps in the process.
• Coordinates and facilitates meetings.
• Leads projects to assess organizational needs, capacity management practices, identifies gaps and proposes new processes and tools to improve planning.
• Integrates on-site into the internal stakeholder environment to effectively lead project teams while building positive professional relationships.
• Assists with the monitoring, quality assurance, and reporting of project deliverables and presents those findings to key business stakeholders and internal leadership.
• Facilitates external stakeholder's insight gathering activities in Global Medical TAs.
• Develops key reports/dashboards and proactively distribute them to respective stakeholders.
• May contribute to hiring, onboarding and mentoring junior associates and or contingent workers.
• Adheres to strict compliances and lisaises with Compliance and Quality to reinforce governance and assists/trains as appropriate internal stakeholders.
Skills & Experience
• Prior experience in clinical development operations, investigator sponsored trial operations, field medical liaison role, project management or as a clinical trial manager/associate will be valuable
• Very strong organizational and problem solving skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• High level of emotional intelligence
• Team worker
• Comfort with financial forecasting and reporting
• Experience in Microsoft Office platforms, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Project
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences with 3-5 years in Life Sciences
• MD, PHD, Pharm D with 1-3 years experience in Life sciences
Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime - like a job where you have the extraordinary opportunity to change lives. At Alexion, such opportunities arise through our unwavering mission to serve patients and families affected by rare diseases. These patients are our guiding star, and we act with integrity, urgency, and discipline because we know their lives are at stake.
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases and devastating conditions through the discovery, development and commercialization of life-changing medicines. As a leader in rare diseases for more than 25 years, Alexion has developed and commercializes two approved complement inhibitors to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH) and atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), as well as the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat anti-acetylcholine receptor (AchR) antibody-positive generalized myasthenia gravis (gMG) and neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder (NMOSD). Alexion also has two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare metabolic disorders, hypophosphatasia (HPP) and lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D) as well as the first and only approved Factor Xa inhibitor reversal agent. In addition, the company is developing several mid-to-late-stage therapies, including a copper-binding agent for Wilson disease, an anti-neonatal Fc receptor (FcRn) antibody for rare Immunoglobulin G (IgG)-mediated diseases and an oral Factor D inhibitor as well as several early-stage therapies, including one for light chain (AL) amyloidosis, a second oral Factor D inhibitor and a third complement inhibitor. Alexion focuses its research efforts on novel molecules and targets in the complement cascade and its development efforts on the core therapeutic areas of hematology, nephrology, neurology, metabolic disorders and cardiology. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, Alexion has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion is proud to offer a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more.