Hyatt Senior Manager, Design & Planning in CHICAGO, Illinois
Reporting to the Studio Head, Design Services, the Senior Manager, Design & Planning will be responsible for the support and execution of design and technical services as part of the Americas Design Services department. This team oversees the design of all new construction and renovation projects throughout the Americas, across the portfolio of Hyatt’s full-service hotel brands.
The Senior Manager, Design & Planning will provide support to Design Directors and above on execution of various projects and independently lead renovation projects with more minimal oversight from senior team members. The Senior Manager, Design and Planning, will also administer and support the annual capital planning process for the Americas region, under guidance from the Studio Head and in collaboration of the Americas Design Services team, including review of recent cost data to adjust guidelines for the region.
The Senior Manager, Design & Planning will facilitate and support the implementation of Hyatt technical standards and brand objectives through a focus on superior design strategies and solutions, with a client-first philosophy for our brand-led, purpose driven team.
Provide design guidance and brand fit review throughout the Americas on multiple, concurrent full service hotel projects, including independent project management, communication, and leadership of assigned renovation projects within the team and support as needed to Design Directors and above on new build projects and pre-development reviews.
Interface with owners, development companies, architects, interior designers, planning consultants, contractors, and public agencies in a collaborative, team-focused manner that adds value to projects and relationships.
Provide design direction, ensure adherence to brand standards, and oversee Hyatt’s interests by advising/assisting external architecture, design and engineering consultant teams from initial space planning and concept development through all phases of design.
Prioritize project design goals to align with scope of project and budget in a strongly client-oriented manner.
Partner with the region’s development team to provide functional expertise on project assessment and feasibility activities, encompassing the review of projects and properties that may be considered for acquisition, management or franchise, including pre-design project review and planning, area programs, property improvement plans (PIPs).
Collaborate with project teams including owners, design consultants, and Hyatt internal Operations teams during the entire hotel design process to facilitate and implement Hyatt brand concepts and standards, coordinating input from internal partners.
Provide regular and contractual reviews for milestone design packages and provide Hyatt approval and/or comments, including review of design consultant submitted drawings, interior design concepts, finishes and specifications.
Execute and operationalize brand concepts and implement relevant regional and local brand design interpretations under the guidance of a Design Director or Studio Head.
Prepare and distribute a Capital Plan Preparation, Review and Approval timeline for the year, and interface with corporate functional groups and field Operations for coordination and input of Corporate Directives and Recommendations each year.
Collaborate with ADS and Global Product & Brand Development team to review recent project cost data and adjust unit cost recommendations each year as needed.
Assist hotels to prepare their capital plans for the upcoming year including questions related to program functionality, corporate directives and recommendations, corporate guideline unit costs, design fee percentages, renovation strategies (timing/cost), etc.
Administer the detailed review of all hotel capital plans in collaboration with ADS team and other Corporate functions. Review the plans for inclusion of all corporate directives and brand standards that apply to each specific hotel and participate in functional Design review for the Americas.
Develop proficiency in Hyatt proprietary capital planning software, including oversight of annual minor modifications for updates to cost guidelines and timelines.
Focus on learning and development – hospitality industry knowledge, best and current practices.
The position responsibilities outlined above are in no way to be construed as all encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary.
• Minimum 5-7 years’ post-graduate experience in an Architectural or Design field, with strong familiarity with all phases and aspects of the design & development process.
• Hospitality, high-end residential and/or retail experience required.
• Client facing experience required.
• Architectural Design Degree – Bachelor or Master of Architecture or foreign equivalent
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Professional association registration preferred (AIA, NCDIQ, or similar)
Computer Skills Needed to Perform this Job
• AutoCAD, Microsoft Office skills required
• Bluebeam Revu skills preferred
Additional Comments and Requirements
• Possess excellent verbal, written and graphic communication skills
• Ability to leverage past experience within the design industry to knowledgably and credibly collaborate with owners, developers, project managers and design consultants on a wide range of topics relevant to hotel design and construction
• Flexibility to handle changing circumstances and priorities
• Ability to multitask, manage multiple and competing priorities.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively while exercising good judgment and critical thinking.
• Strong sense of responsibility and ownership over projects.
• Ability to adapt to changing circumstances and priorities.
• Ability to learn when exposed to new tasks.
• Must be available for frequent travel both domestically and abroad (50%)
• English fluency is required
• Spanish and/or Portuguese proficiency a plus
Primary Location: US-IL-Chicago
Organization: Hyatt Corporate Office
Pay Basis: Yearly
Job Level: Full-time
Job: Architecture/Design/Technical Services
Req ID: CHI011258
Hyatt is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, disability, veteran status, genetic information, citizenship status or any other group protected by law.
- Hyatt Jobs