Weyerhaeuser Forester in Longview, Washington
Our Lower Columbia Region has an opening for an operational Forester. This position is based out of our Longview, Washington office and reports to the Cathlamet/Yacolt Area Manager, with additional accountabilities to the Region Forester for silvicultural activities in the area. This is a full-time, exempt position, with salary level dependent on skills and experience.
- The role is responsible for general forestry requirements, such as site preparation (chemical/mechanical), regeneration, land exams, vegetation control (chemical/mechanical), stocking control, fire protection and contract administration. Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the execution of the forestry plan, in compliance with the regional and area harvesting strategy and the annual budget plan.
- Project layout, using aerial photos, maps, GIS systems and ground reconnaissance.
- Contract administration; negotiate, prepare, supervise, monitor for compliance, payment management.
- Developing and tracking budgets and key silvicultural metrics.
- Forecasting silvicultural projects and expenditures.
- Advocate, model and inspect for safe work practices.
- Fertilizer and forest inventory sampling project work.
- Act as company representative with landowners, government agencies, and community representatives.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal safety statues, environmental requirements and Weyerhaeuser resource and stewardship goals.
- Collaborate with others on the area and region teams to ensure alignment with goals and objectives.
Fire preparedness, firefighting and other protection functions as required.
Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Forestry or related field with three years of experience OR equivalent combination of education and experience (five years).
- Willingness to abide by established safety standards.
- General knowledge of state and federal forest practice rules/statutes.
- Team building, communication, analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Proficiency in use of personal computers and related software applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Geographical Information Systems.
- Ability to develop, prioritize, plan, implement and manage activities to meet targets and deadlines with occasional extended work periods and weekend work.
- Experience in project management and contract administration.
- Willing to work independently in an office setting and travel to destinations in the woods. Minimum of 50% of work time is spent in the field, working on steep or broke ground covered with slash and brush, and in all weather conditions.
- Valid driver’s license is required, as work involves driving company vehicles on rough roads (25,000 miles per year).
We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence, and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference.
We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
We believe trees are a remarkable resource that can and should be managed responsibly to make a range of products that meet human needs, while also providing recreation, wildlife habitat, and other important ecosystem benefits.
For more than a century, we've been taking care of forests to make life better.
/Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. Inclusion is one of our five core values and we strive to maintain a culture where all our people feel a sense of belonging, opportunity and shared purpose. We are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce and supporting an equitable and inclusive environment that inspires people of all backgrounds to join, stay and thrive with our team./
Job: *Operations, Manufacturing, & Construction
Requisition ID: 01016878
- Weyerhaeuser Jobs