HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Surgical Tech First Assist PRN in Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Healthcare Corporation of America (HCA) is a community of 94,000 Registered Nurses and 38,000 active physicians. We have over 1,900 facilities ranging from hospitals, freestanding ER’s, ambulatory surgery centers, and urgent care clinics. Our facility based staff continues to raise the bar in patient care. Ten HCA hospitals have been named in IBM Watson Health’s top 100 best-performing hospitals based on patient satisfaction and operational data.
Portsmouth Regional is a 209-bed acute care hospital located in Portsmouth, NH, and is part of HCA, the nation’s largest provider of healthcare services. Portsmouth Regional Hospital serves the seacoast region’s residents in New Hampshire, Maine and Massachusetts and is one of the area’s largest employers. Portsmouth Regional Hospital is the only Level II Trauma Center on the Seacoast and one of only three in New Hampshire to earn this important distinction. Recently, we were named One of America’s Best Hospitals for Joint Replacements through a National Study by Health grades. Most recently, we received the Leapfrog ‘A’ Hospital Safety Grade.
Not only do our patients come first, but our employees do too! We are committed to providing our employees with the support they need. At Portsmouth Regional Hospital we offer an array of medical, dental, and vision packages as well as several add-on perks to make your benefits package truly customizable to you and your family needs. Some of our unique benefits we offer include:
- Student Loan Repayment
- Tuition Reimbursement/Assistance Programs
- Paid Personal Leave
- 401k (100% annual match – 3% to 9% of pay based on years of service)
- Identity Theft Protection discounts
- Auto, Home, and Life Insurance options
- Adoption Assistance
- Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP)
HCA is dedicated to the growth and development of our colleagues. We will provide you the tools and resources you need to succeed in our organization. We are currently looking for an ambitious Surgical Tech First Assist to help us reach our goals. Unlock your potential here!
The following functions must be able to be carried out by the incumbent with or without reasonable accommodation under the direct supervision of the operating surgeon and general direction of the OR Clinical Team Leader and Director, Surgical Services, within hospital and department policies and procedures:
- Functions in the 1st and 2nd scrub roles, assisting in surgery under the direct supervision of the surgeon.
- Establishes and maintains a sterile environment by applying principles of asepsis, infection control, and continued monitoring of the sterile field.
- Implements his/her actions to meet patient needs and problems in an efficient manner with appropriate utilization of resources.
- Uses creativity and sound judgment in adapting his/her interventions to fit the patient’s needs.
- Acts as a resource person for staff and participates as a team member in achieving optimal patient outcomes.
- Demonstrates knowledge of normal and pathologic anatomy and physiology.
- Initiates appropriate intra-operative behaviors unique to first assisting: a) Provides hemostasis to reduce potential for postoperative infection and potential fluid volume deficit by clamping and/or ligating vessels using electrosurgical cautery, applying direct pressure, applying chemical agents that promote coagulation, and other means as directed by the surgeon. b) Provides exposure of the operative site through the appropriate use of retractors and other instruments and through suctioning and sponging. c) Uses surgical instruments skillfully in ways consistent with their design and purpose as directed by the surgeon. d) Handles all varieties of tissues appropriately to reduce potential for injury or compromised blood supply. e) Sutures tissues skillfully with the appropriate suture materials and suturing technique.
- Recognizes surgical hazards in relation to potential complications and initiates appropriate actions.
- Performs effectively in stressful and emergent situations.
- Graduate from an accredited school/military program of Surgical Technology or current national certification in Surgical Technology (CST).
- NH Medical Technician Board registration is required if not currently licensed or registered by a NH regulatory board.
- 2 years experience in the scrub role.
- Current certification in BLS.
- Maintenance of Surgical First Assistant competency required.
If you find this opportunity compelling, we encourage you to apply. We promptly review all applications. If you are highly qualified, you will hear from one of our Practice Managers. We are actively interviewing so apply today.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Job: *Nursing - Professional
Title: Surgical Tech First Assist PRN
Location: New Hampshire-Portsmouth-Portsmouth Regional Hospital - Portsmouth
Requisition ID: 00147-12927