HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Executive Chef in St Petersburg, Florida
JOB TITLE – Executive Chef, Food & Nutrition Services
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES –Under the general direction of the Director of FANS, the Chef is responsible for preparing food items for Corporate Hospital functions, Physicians and other duties as assigned by the Director. Assists with responsibility of all aspects of Food Production and ensures a high level of customer service and patient satisfaction of Food & Nutrition Services. Oversees all food production-related activities, including: patient foodservice, retail, cafeteria, catering, and other foodservice, quality improvement, sanitation, infection control and all hospital-related activities. Works collaboratively with supervisors to maintain production and quality programs and supervise production staff within department.
SUPERVISOR –Director, Food and Nutrition Services
SUPERVISES –Production and Retail Staff as assigned
KEY INTERACTIONS –Facility foodservice staff, Physicians, Directors, and Managers of other departments in assigned facility.
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Ensures food production quality standards are met and amounts are sufficient to meet expected need; make substitutions and changes to menus as needed, work with dieticians and other health professionals to develop quality meals within the constraints of special dietary restrictions.
- Supervises cooks and oversees the preparation, portioning, garnishing, and storage of food. Provides leadership support to the Executive Chef in the management of food production for patients, Drs Lounge, cafeteria and special functions.
- Prepares hot and cold food as needed and sets up steam table, serving line, station and equipment for use in meal services to include catering, cafeteria and doctor’s lounge. Ensures meal services start and end on time.
- May be required to work production shifts due to departmental staffing needs in compliance with local hospital union bargaining agreements if applicable.
- Maintains and administers standards for food production and handling, cooking, sanitation, safety, cash control where required and employee hygiene in compliance with appropriate laws and regulations and policies and procedures.
- Documents receiving log and production logs daily. Maintains HACCP standards in hot/cold food production areas.
- Inspects patient trays, physicians lounge, and cafeteria for attractiveness, palatability, and temperature of foods. Ensures organized and sanitized areas according to HACCP guidelines.
- Meets budget expectations; and manages food and supply controls through purchasing, proper storage, preparation and delivery of food.
- Assists in the education, and maintains staff responsibility in HACCP guidelines in food handling, thawing, holding and re-heating of food, covers, labels and dates items and maintains techniques to avoid food contamination and spoilage.
- Provides leadership to the Food Production staff, services and programs. Demonstrates accountability for maintaining and monitoring utilization of resources, physical space, equipment, department protocols, equipment, standards, policies, and practices.
- Assists Director with competency and development of Food Production staff through education and training. Ensures new staff is oriented to specific job duties with particular focus on safety and infection control.
- Demonstrates responsibility and accountability in managing productivity standards. Manages staff performance through regular review, real time feedback, and performance planning. Ensures performance reviews are conducted on time. Actively coaches and mentors’ staff.
- Ensures personal/professional conduct reinforces Company's values and promotes Code of Conduct. Meets leadership obligations under the Ethics and Compliance Program.
- Assesses effectiveness of current services, and supports the expansion or development of new product lines, services, or innovations that are consistent with hospital vision, mission and values to promote growth in overall volume.
- Demonstrates personal responsibility for professional development. Actively promotes development of self and others through participation in professional organizations, educational opportunities, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Organization – proactively prioritizes needs and effectively manages resources
- Communication – communicates clearly and concisely
- Leadership – guides individuals and groups toward desired outcomes, setting high performance standards and delivering leading quality services
- Staff orientation and Training – assists with staff training and development as needed
- Policies & Procedures – articulates knowledge and understanding of organizational policies, procedures and systems
- Judgment – Makes decisions based upon job knowledge and experience. Considers all impacted areas in decision process. Seeks advice where applicable. Judgment sensible and reliable.
- Interpersonal Skills – able to work effectively with other employees, patients and external parties
- PC skills – demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, Meditech,point of sale applications, (Computrition),purchasing vendor applications and others as required
- Financial management – applies tools and processes to successfully manage food budget
- Project management – assesses work activities and allocates resources appropriately
- Analytical skills – ability to comprehend and analyze options to determine best decision for patients, facility, department and company.
- Basic Skills – Critical thinking, service excellence and good interpersonal communication skills, ability to read/comprehend written instructions, ability to follow verbal instructions, PC skills
- Culinary degree preferred
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in healthcare setting and food service preparation preferred
- Serv Safe Certification
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS –Requires prolonged standing, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate all food production equipment and required office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate reports. Requires lifting boxes or
Job: *Food Services & Nutrition
Title: Executive Chef
Location: Florida-St Petersburg-Palms of Pasadena Hospital
Requisition ID: 26536-4049