Lockheed Martin Senior Staff Electro-Optical Engineer in Sunnyvale, California
Description: Are you passionate about state-of-the-art technology in space exploration, and seeing your work applied to real life applications that travel to space? Then join Lockheed Martin Space’s Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) for as an Optical Payload EO Electronics Certified Principal Engineer (CPE) Sr. Staff! OPCoE enables new frontiers in visible-light and infrared systems, missile defense, space exploration and much more. Our amazing men and women are on a mission to make a difference in the world and every single day we use our unique skills and experiences to create, design and build solutions to some of the world’s hardest engineering problems.
We are looking for Optical Payload EO Electronics CPE Sr. Staff to develop high TRL (Technical Readiness Level) products for missile and space hardware. You will report and be deployed into Space Engineering and Technology (E&T) Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) organization. This position will report to a group that develops a product portfolio consisting of payload controllers, image data processors, high rate data routers, memory/storage devices, focal plane bias and regulation electronics, fast steering mirror controllers, laser controllers, cryocooler electronics and other strategic electro-optical components.
As an Optical Payload EO Electronics CPE Sr. Staff you will be: (a) working with Systems Engineering and subcontractors to develop specifications; (b) assuring optical payload electronic configuration Items, circuitry designs and electrical components with specific characteristics are within specified electrical requirements and perform according to specifications, (c) a part of a team developing designs, analyzes, and tests for electro-optical systems and components to drive common, high TRL payload products across programs.
• Performing as a certified principal engineer for the development of optical payload electronics systems
• Leading design reviews, Engineering Material Review Board (EMRB) hardware discrepancy decisions and Failure Review Board (FRB) as required
• Resolving test anomalies and troubleshooting
• Generation, review and presentation of payload electronics Product Certifications
• Support of system level testing
• Providing technical guidance and direction to electronics vendors and LM electrical design teams to ensure compliance of optical payload electronics products with all program requirements
• Leadership of cross-functional development teams, coordinating with partners (e.g. subcontractor, customer, SEIT, and parts organizations)
• Ownership of optical payload electronics documentation (design, analysis, and interface definitions)
• Creation of technology maturation and risk reduction plans for critical electrical payload elements and subsystems
• Supporting proposal development activities for objective payload systems
• Coordinating with partners and stakeholders (e.g., subcontractor, customer, SEIT, and multiple M&P and parts organizations) and handling closure of Action Items and Liens
• Managing risk and identifying mitigation plans to meet productivity, quality, cost, schedule, and mission success objectives
We are looking for someone who has strong troubleshooting and analytical skills and the ability to work on cross-functional teams. You should also demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
• Bachelors degree or higher in electrical engineering or related technical discipline; or equivalent experience/combined education
• Experience leading others as a project or team lead in developing optical and/or electrical products through all phases of the life cycle
• Experience in development of analog or digital electronic circuitry
• Experience as a technical product lead of analog and/or digital electronics systems
• US citizenship with the ability to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI /Poly clearance
• Current TS/SCI/Poly clearance
• Demonstrated experience working across Space and Ground applications. Our systems include Ground-to-Ground, Space to Ground (and vice versa), and Space to Space
• Have experience in interfacing, biasing and controlling focal plane assemblies. For passive EO, we work with staring and scanning FPAs in the visible and IR domain. For active EO, we work across multiple types of lidar receiver arrays, primarily GmAPD.
• Have experience in developing payload controllers. The Payload controller typically receives high level commands from the bus controller. The payload controller is responsible for decomposing bus commands into smaller, discrete commands that may be pushed out to a variety of nodes on the payload.
• Have experience in developing image data processors. These image data processors may perform a range of processing. The processing may be relatively straightforward computations such as bad pixel mapping and non-uniformity correction. More complex processing may include machine learning/deep learning and autonomous decision making.
• Have experience in developing laser/lidar controllers. These controllers must have the ability to control and sequence a laser system through various turn on/turn off sequences. This includes the laser power sources (DC-DC convertors) and any thermal regulation.
• Have experience in developing electronics for optical payload mechanisms such as filter wheels and fast steering mirrors. The fast steering mirrors are targeted for performance requirements that exceed commercially available products, and have high agility and high dynamic range.
• Experience as a Certified Principal Engineer / Product Lead of analog and digital electronics
• Experience working with Subcontractors and sub-tier suppliers
• Familiarity with processes on failure investigation (root cause analysis, Failure Review Boards, etc.)
• Experience assisting with as-built pedigree and quality documentation reviews
• Experience supporting the technical evaluation of design and requirements verification
• Experience in all phases of aerospace electronic component development cycle
• Experience interacting with peers, management and government customers
• Proficient in presentations and in written communication skills
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
- Lockheed Martin Jobs